Subscribe to "In The Arena" on , or .
Mary Ann Borgeson did not consider running for elected office in her k彩平台 state of Nebraska until her husband encouraged her to do so. But, even after nearly three decades in public office, she does not look at it as being a politician or an elected official, she simply sees a job of caring for other people, which is really her driving force.
As Douglas County commissioner, Mary Ann Borgeson honors the impact she can have on people’s lives every day through her closeness to the community. As president of the National Association of Counties (NACo), even though it is a larger scale, she still maneuvers her national role with community-level intimacy. “As president, you’re like a leader and an ambassador to the rest of the counties across the country.” She cares for counties across the nation by sharing stories, ideas and resources, to provide a network of support and connection.
Mary Ann Borgeson works, at every level, through empathy. She is humbled by her experiences with victims of Hurricane Katrina, inspired by the words of Mother Theresa and powered by positivity and giving others care. Especially in hard times, “try to take care of yourself as well as your family… Remember your compassion and love that you’re able to give to each other.”
Mary Ann Borgeson steps “In the Arena” and shares some of the joys of Nebraska, her hidden athletic talents and how she is working to support others during this national health crisis. Listen to her episode to hear more.
- Betty Yee, State Controller of Calif.
- Serena DiMaso, New Jersey Assembly Member
- Clay Jenkinson, Governing's Editor-at-Large and Humanities Scholar
- Bryan Barnett, Mayor of Rochester Hills, Mich. and President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Ryan Coonerty, County Supervisor of Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Lydia Mihalik, Director of Ohio's Development k彩平台 Agency
- Chris Cabaldon, Mayor of West Sacramento, Calif.
- Affie Ellis, State Senator, Wyo.
- Beth Niblock, CIO of Detroit, Mich.
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles, Calif.
- Ed O’Keefe, CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library Foundation
- Blair Milo, Ind.'s first Secretary of Career Connections and Talent
- Phil Bertolini, Co-Director, Center for Digital Government
- Jo Ann Davidson, Ohio State Representative
- Dow Constantine, Executive of King County, Wash.
- Harry LaRosiliere, Mayor of Plano, Texas
- Rebecca Rhynhart, City Controller of Philadelphia
- Michael Crow, President of Arizona State University
- Mayors Melvin Carter of St. Paul, Minn.; Jenn Daniels of Gilbert, Ariz.; Jacob Frey of Minneapolis; and Francis Suarez of Miami
- Chris Castro, Director of Sustainability for Orlando, Fla.
- Kim Foxx, State's Attorney for Cook County, Ill.
- Doug Burgum, Governor of N.D.
- Nan Whaley, Mayor of Dayton, Ohio
- Steve Benjamin, Mayor of Columbia, S.C.
- Kristen Cox, Executive Director of Utah Office of Management and Budget
- Acquanetta Warren, Mayor of Fontana, Calif.
- Greg Fischer, Mayor of Louisville, Ky.
- Themis Klarides, Minority Leader of the Conn. House
Governing is a division of e.Republic